Dark Sky Gathering – For Sale
September 27 @ 5:00 pm - September 29 @ 11:00 am
PLAYA is hosting the first annual Dark Sky Gathering in the Oregon Outback!
PLAYA staff are joining forces with experts in dark-sky gazing to host PLAYA’s first official Dark Sky Gathering September 27 – 29, 2019. We’ll explore Oregon’s fall constellations, principles of astrophotography, the Milky Way, the deep silence of night on the playa, and other wonderful aspects of life in the sparsely populated Oregon Outback.
We had such an overwhelming response to this event that we have partnered with the Summer Lake Hot Springs to offer more space. The weekend includes two nights in a private cabin at Summer Lake Hot Springs, with full in-cabin kitchens for preparing your own breakfasts and lunches. Light dinner fare will be served at Playa Saturday evening for all Dark Sky guests staying at either location. Those in PLAYA cabins, please call the PLAYA office for information about Friday evening dinner, 541.943.3983.
This is the schedule for the event. Please note that last minute changes may occur. The programming will be held on PLAYA grounds. Those staying at the Hot Springs will need to drive about 12 miles to Playa to participate in these events.
- 4:00 pm – Check In
- 4:00 – 5:45 pm – Dinner on Your Own
- 6:00 pm – Talk about Bats with biologist Mary Jo Hedrick in Commons
- 6:30 pm – Bat Viewing on the Docks (Bring Your Own Beverage)
- 7:00 pm – Poetry by Eleanor Berry
- 8:00 pm – International Dark Sky Film & Chasing Darkness Videos
- Ongoing – Astrophotography Show in Avocet and/or Sandhill Studios
- 1:00 pm – National and Local Dark Sky Activism (open to the public)
- Lake County Chamber Of Commerce Status Report – Darkness in Lake Co.
- Protectors Team – State of Oregon Update
- 3:00 – 5:00 pm Richard Berry Astrophotography – “Use what you have” Sky Photography with Ordinary Cameras
- 6:00 pm – Light Dinner Fare in Commons
- Sunset on the Playa and Group Photo
- 7:30 – 10:00 pm Star Lore with Story Teller – Mary Adams
- Ongoing – Commons Slide Show – Art and music inspired by the night sky (from themed residency)
- Tea, Coffee, Cider, and Snacks in Commons
- 11:00 am – Check Out
Please follow the steps below to register.
- To register please have every member of your party fill out this form: https://forms.gle/91qqBmTpqa3q1Afw8
- Please go to the “Shop” tab on our website home page (upper right) and choose your cabin at the Summer Lake Hot Springs and check out. If you have a question about their cabins and accommodations please call 541-943-3931.
If all the cabins are sold out WE ARE TAKING NAMES ON THIS WAITLIST since we have found more accommodation options. Interested parties please sign up, and we’ll be in touch if spots open up. Waitlist here: https://goo.gl/forms/yWi19x4HN9ggLTV82
An article about Dark Skies from the New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/03/travel/stargazing-trips.html