- This event has passed.
Dark Sky Gathering
September 27 @ 5:00 pm - September 29 @ 11:00 am
PLAYA is hosting the first annual Dark Sky Gathering in the Oregon Outback!
PLAYA staff are joining forces with experts in dark-sky gazing to host PLAYA’s first official Dark Sky Gathering September 27 – 29, 2019. We’ll explore Oregon’s fall constellations, principles of astrophotography, the Milky Way, the deep silence of night on the playa, and other wonderful aspects of life in the sparsely populated Oregon Outback.
We had such an overwhelming response to this event that we have partnered with the Summer Lake Hot Springs to offer more space. The weekend includes two nights in a private cabin at Summer Lake Hot Springs, with full in-cabin kitchens for preparing your own breakfasts and lunches. Light dinner fare will be served at Playa Saturday evening for all Dark Sky guests staying at either location.
We will move programming inside if the weather is severe.
- 4:00 – 5:45 pm | Dinner on Your Own
- 6:00 pm | Talk about Bats with biologist Mary Jo Hedrick – Please Meet in the Commons Building (large central building at PLAYA)
- 6:30 pm | Bat Viewing on the Docks (Bring Your Own Beverage)
- 7:15 pm | Poetry by Eleanor Berry with Musical Interludes by Paul Bennett
- 8:00 pm | Perry Chocktoot – The Klamath Tribes | Culture and Heritage Director
- Late Night | Star Party with Telescopes – on the Playa or East Lawn
- Noon – 2:30 pm | Astrophotography Show in Avocet and/or Sandhill Studios – (It’s the shop looking building on North End of PLAYA Property)
- 3:00 – 5:00 pm | Richard Berry Astrophotography – Sky Photography with Ordinary Cameras – in the Commons
- 6:00 pm | Light Dinner Fare in Commons
- Sunset | Group Photo on East Lawn
- 7:30 – 10:00 pm | Star Lore with Story Teller with Mary Stewart Adams – in the Commons
- Late Night | Star Party with Telescopes
- Late Night | Tea, Coffee, Cider, and Snacks in Commons
- 11:00 am – Check Out