- This event has passed.
Nature Journaling on the Playa – SOLD OUT
May 3 @ 5:00 pm - May 5 @ 12:00 pm
Nature Journaling on the Playa with Sarah Rabkin & Charles Atkinson
Come spend a weekend around the playa, looking into both the natural world and your own inner nature. You’ll stay in comfortable lodging and be treated to delicious meals on PLAYA’s beautiful campus. Sarah and Chuck will share writing and sketching techniques to help you heighten and indulge your curiosity and record your experiences with flair. Whether you’re a seasoned journal-keeper or just starting out, you’ll learn ways of layering words and images to generate not only vibrant, illuminated pages, but also a spirited connection with the world around you.
Most instruction and practice will take place outdoors, on and around PLAYA. The schedule will generally be as follows:
• 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. — Check in
• 6:00 p.m. — Dinner at Commons
• 7:00 p.m. — Gather in the Commons for introductions and an overview of the weekend
• Breakfast on your own
• 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. — Techniques for recording visual experience in your journal
• 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. — “Playa ventriloquy”: letting the land speak to you and through you
• 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. — Lunch on your own
• 2:00- 3:30 p.m. — Poetry in your journal
• 3:30-4:00 p.m. — Discussion, Q&A, and optional sharing of work
• 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. — Free time on your own to relax, explore, play in your journal
• 6:00 p.m. — Dinner together at Commons
• 7:00 p.m. — (optional but highly recommended) Sarah gives a slide talk about her illustrated-field-journal practice; Chuck reads his poetry
• Breakfast on your own (and get packed up for noon check-out)
• 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. — A “page spread”: bringing image & language together in your journal; playing with elements of layout and design
• 11:30 – Noon — Final sharing, discussion, and farewell
The $375 fee for this weekend ($550 double occupancy) includes lodging in a private cabin, dinners in PLAYA’s Commons building on Friday and Saturday evening, and instruction each day: after dinner Friday: from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday; and from 10 to noon Sunday. Breakfast and lunch are on your own (full kitchens are in every cabin).
Former PLAYA residents Charles Atkinson and Sarah Rabkin both taught writing at UC Santa Cruz for many years. Sarah is the author and illustrator of What I Learned at Bug Camp: Essays on Finding a Home in the World; she leads writing retreats and illustrated-journal workshops in a variety of alluring venues in California and Oregon. Chuck has published seven poetry collections, including several prize-winners—mostly recently This Deep In (Hummingbird Poetry Press) and Skeleton, Skin and Joy (Finishing Line Press). Photo credit: Beth Ann Mathews.
Registration is limited to twelve people on a first-come, first served basis, with full payment mailed to PLAYA Master Classes, 47531 Highway 31, Summer Lake, OR 97640 at the time of registration. Please note “Nature Journaling Weekend” on your check. Please email Sarah directly with questions about the nature of the instruction/content of the workshop. To register please fill out this form and sign this liability waiver. We will confirm your registration with the email you provide in the registration.