Self Directed Residencies are for adults seeking time and space to immerse in their creative or scientific work in an inspiring landscape and campus. Self-Directed Residencies are fee-based and, new for 2022, available in 4-night or 10-night packages on specific dates. They have the form of a residency without the formal application process.
2022 Dates will be announced by Feb. 1.
Along with time to focus on creative and/or scientific work, Self Directed Residencies also give participants the opportunity to connect with the other creative and scientifically minded people on campus while experiencing the treasures of the Summer Lake Valley.
There is is limited cell service at PLAYA and cabins are free of internet and tv to support an environment of creative focus. There is internet and a landline available in a common work space.
*Proof of covid vaccination is required to participate in 2022 PLAYA programs.
A Self Directed Residency is the right fit for you if:
- You crave time to focus on your photography, writing, research, painting
- You are looking for time and space in a supportive environment free of distraction from daily life in order to tackle a creative or scientific project.
- You believe your work could be inspired in a wide open desert landscape.
- You are in need of a change of new scenery to enliven your work.
- You are independent and will thrive in an isolated environment.
A Self Directed Residency is NOT the right fit for you if:
- You need services such as a nearby grocery store, restaurants or coffee shops (all cabins have kitchens or kitchenettes).
- You are looking for a vacation with family and friends.
- You need to bring your pet.
- You expect guest services such as a concierge or front desk clerk on-call 24/7.
- You rely on high speed internet.
* Cancellation policy: Six or less days before arrival NO refund; seven-14 days before arrival 50% refund; 15-28 days before 75% refund.
* We will honor all cancellation requests at any time due to covid or wildfires and/or smoke.